Baghdad blasts: 10 security officers detained
Baghdad: Ten police and military officers are being held for questioning in Wednesday`s coordinated attacks in central Baghdad, which left around 100 dead and 1,200 injured, media reports said on Thursday.
"Security officials in Bab al-Moazzam and al-Salihiya areas have been detained and will be interrogated over the terrorist attacks that took place in their districts," said a statement from the Iraqi military`s Baghdad Operations Command, published in al-Sabah daily newspaper.
Some 10 explosions -- a combination of car bombs, explosive devices and mortars -- rocked the city on Wednesday, targeting government buildings.
A powerful car bomb caused extensive damage near the Ministry of Finance, shattering windows for blocks and severely damaging the central artery of Mohammed al-Qassem street.
A second car bomb exploded close to the Foreign Ministry, near the heavily protected Green Zone, the site of most foreign embassies.
Other bombs went off near the ministries of health, trade, education and housing in the deadliest wave of attacks since US troops withdrew from the city June 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video