Baghdad blasts: 10 security officers detained
Baghdad: Ten police and military officers are being held for questioning in Wednesday`s coordinated attacks in central Baghdad, which left around 100 dead and 1,200 injured, media reports said on Thursday.
"Security officials in Bab al-Moazzam and al-Salihiya areas have been detained and will be interrogated over the terrorist attacks that took place in their districts," said a statement from the Iraqi military`s Baghdad Operations Command, published in al-Sabah daily newspaper.
Some 10 explosions -- a combination of car bombs, explosive devices and mortars -- rocked the city on Wednesday, targeting government buildings.
A powerful car bomb caused extensive damage near the Ministry of Finance, shattering windows for blocks and severely damaging the central artery of Mohammed al-Qassem street.
A second car bomb exploded close to the Foreign Ministry, near the heavily protected Green Zone, the site of most foreign embassies.
Other bombs went off near the ministries of health, trade, education and housing in the deadliest wave of attacks since US troops withdrew from the city June 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra