Baghdad car bombings: 32 Shia pilgrims killed, 68 injured
Baghdad: At least 32 people were killed and 68 injured in two separate car bomb blasts which targeted Shiite pilgrims at the end of a major Shiite religious ritual Saturday, Xinhua reported.
According to an interior ministry source, the first attack occurred around mid-day when a booby-trapped car struck a procession of Shiite pilgrims at an intersection in Shula district in northwestern Baghdad, killing 14 pilgrims and wounding 32 others.
About two hours later, a second car bomb hit a procession of Shiite pilgrims near Sanaa Square outside the holy Shiite shrine district of Kadhmiyah in northern Baghdad, killing up to 18 pilgrims and wounding 36, the source added.
Earlier, the source said the toll stood at 20 with 44 pilgrims being injured.
The pilgrims were marching on foot to return to their homes after having participated in the observation of one of the major Shiite rituals in the holy Shiite district of Kadhmiyah.
About six million pilgrims from various parts of Baghdad and other provinces have gathered near the Imam Mussa al-Kadhim shrine in Kadhmiyah district for the annual commemoration of the death of the 7th most sacred 12 Shiite Imams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical