Baghdad cop demanded ransom after killing boy: Police
Hilla (Iraq): A Baghdad police lieutenant
kidnapped the 10-year-old son of his wealthy neighbour, killed
the child and demanded a 160,000 dollar ransom before being
snared when calls were traced to his phone.
The crime occurred in Mahawil, a town 80 kilometres south
of Baghdad, in Babil province, police said.
"We have arrested him and he has confessed to the crime,"
a police official in Hilla, the provincial capital, told.
The killer, named as Lieutenant Haidar Atlas, worked in
Baghdad but decided to snatch the son of Khudair Abdul Zahra,
a food trader and neighbour in Mahawil, his home town.
"We caught him on Monday, the corpse was discovered and
he has confessed to the crime," the official said, asking not
to be named.
Atlas was discovered after calls from his mobile
telephone to demand ransom money were traced back to him by
"He asked for 160,000 dollars but he had killed and
buried the child immediately after the kidnap," the police
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- 'Udta Punjab' Box Office collection: Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt starrer crosses Rs 50 crore mark!
- 30 dead, 21 injured after bus catches fire in central China
- Revealed! Why 'Baahubali' didn’t feature a Bollywood star-cast!
- Top 5 ways to deal with mid-life crisis!
- Allahabad HC declines to entertain PIL to restrain media coverage of Kairana incident