Bahamas PM seeks 2nd term in power
Nassau (Bahamas): Bahamian Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham is seeking a second term as islanders vote on Monday.
He is touting his record of launching infrastructure projects while the opposition complains that crime and unemployment have increased.
Analysts are predicting a tight race between the Ingraham`s Free National Movement and the Progressive Liberal Party led by former Prime Minister Perry Christie.
The two parties have dominated political life in the archipelago off Florida`s east coast since it won independence from Britain in 1973.
Parliamentary seats are being contested in 38 districts. The unemployment rate has risen to nearly 15 percent in the country of about 350,000 people. There were a record 127 murders last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research