Bahrain accuses Iran`s Khamenei of inciting protests
Manama: Bahrain has accused Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei of inciting anti-government protests in the kingdom, Xinhua quoted pan-Arab daily Asharq Al-Awsat as saying Saturday.
The demonstrations came a day ahead of the third anniversary of Bahrain`s Feb 14, 2011 protests. Thousands of people took to the streets asking for political reforms in the majority-Shiite country governed by a powerful Sunni party.
Sameera Rajab, a government spokesperson, said Saturday in a statement that attacks on security forces recently were "connected with Khamenei`s calls for Bahraini`s resistance", which was made by the Iranian supreme leader "in a meeting with a delegation from the Feb 14 terrorist organisation".
The recent nationwide demonstration in the kingdom has resulted in the death of a policeman and arrest of 55 protesters.
Two policemen were also injured in a "terrorist" explosion in Daih village Friday. Bahrain`s Interior Minister Shaikh Rashid bin Abdullah Al Khalifa said that investigations into the bombing are still underway.
The oil-rich kingdom had suspended its flights to Iran in March 2011 when anti-government protests erupted in Bahrain. The suspension followed a government advisory urging Bahraini citizens not to visit Lebanon, Iraq and Iran, based on claims that Shiite-majority Iran and Lebanon`s Shiite movement Hezbollah were involved in Bahrain`s unrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!