Bahrain bans all protest gatherings amid violence
Manama: Bahrain says it is banning all protest gatherings amid escalating clashes in the strategic Gulf kingdom that hosts the US Navy`s 5th Fleet.
The decision re-imposes state of emergency-style rules in the Sunni-ruled nation, whose Shiite majority launched an uprising over 20 months ago, aiming to win a greater political voice.
Today`s announcement by the Interior Ministry did not specify what actions could be taken against fresh protests, but suggests Shiite political groups could be held responsible with possible arrests or formal closures of their offices.
Bahrain`s monarchy has permitted limited protests and marches, but much of the violence occurs outside authorised gatherings. Emergency rules including curfews and special military tribunals had been enacted for several months during the early stages of the uprising, which has left over 50 dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie