Bahrain: Clashes between riot police, anti-govt protesters
Manama: Riot police in Bahrain have fired tear gas and stun grenades in clashes with hundreds of anti-government protesters in the capital of the restive Gulf kingdom.
A news agency journalists witnessed several arrests as security forces moved against protesters, led by the daughter of jailed human rights activist Nabeel Rajab.
The unrest in the capital Manama today contrasted with a simultaneous, larger and peaceful protest march on the capital`s outskirts, which was permitted by the government.
Bahrain has been hit by near nonstop tensions since February 2011 when the country`s Shiite majority stepped up its campaign for a greater political voice in the Sunni-ruled nation.
More than 50 people have died in the unrest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs