Bahrain court cuts terms for police jailed over death
Dubai: Bahrain`s appeals court on Sunday cut the jail terms of two policemen convicted of torturing to death a Shiite detainee after a 2011 crackdown on protests, a judicial source said.
The court reduced the terms of the men from seven years to three after a lower court had convicted them in December over Abdul Karim Fakhrawi`s death in custody in April 2011.
Fakhrawi was a publisher and had co-founded Al-Wasat daily, which the authorities was shuttered following the crackdown on month-long Shiite-led protests in mid-March that year.
A number of policemen are facing trials over claims of killing protesters or torturing detainees after a wave of arrests that targeted members of the Shiite majority.
On Monday, a court in the Sunni-ruled kingdom decreased the jail term of a policeman convicted of shooting dead a protester in February 2011 from seven years to three.
The authorities say they are implementing the recommendations of an independent commission of inquiry that confirmed allegations the security forces had used excessive force during the uprising.
Home to the US Fifth Fleet and strategically situated across the Gulf from Iran, Bahrain still sees sporadic Shiite-led demonstrations, mostly outside the capital Manama.
At least 89 people have been killed since the protests began two and a half years ago, according to the International Federation for Human Rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter