Bahrain court sentences 8 to life for bombing
Manama: A Bahraini defense lawyer says a court in the Gulf island kingdom has sentenced eight people to life in prison for the murder of a policeman and an attempt to kill others in a bomb blast.
Defense lawyer Yousef Rabai told The Associated Press the eight were sentenced today. The public prosecutor`s office said the incident took place November of last year, northeast of the capital.
Bahrain has faced more than three years of unrest following an uprising dominated by the Shiite majority calling for greater rights and opportunities from the country`s Sunni rulers. The tiny nation hosts the US Navy`s Fifth Fleet.
Shiite activists frequently clash with police, and some radical protesters have used bombs against security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez