Bahrain court sentences 8 to life for bombing
Manama: A Bahraini defense lawyer says a court in the Gulf island kingdom has sentenced eight people to life in prison for the murder of a policeman and an attempt to kill others in a bomb blast.
Defense lawyer Yousef Rabai told The Associated Press the eight were sentenced today. The public prosecutor`s office said the incident took place November of last year, northeast of the capital.
Bahrain has faced more than three years of unrest following an uprising dominated by the Shiite majority calling for greater rights and opportunities from the country`s Sunni rulers. The tiny nation hosts the US Navy`s Fifth Fleet.
Shiite activists frequently clash with police, and some radical protesters have used bombs against security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Sushma Swaraj to make last ditch effort to save Indian facing execution in Indonesia today
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares wide view of Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming from space!
- 1st Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- Bail plea of Amanatullah Khan, accused of threatening woman with rape and murder, to be heard today
- Bhagwant Mann FB video row: Deadline for AAP MP to depose before parliamentary panel ends today