Bahrain crown prince widens role amid crisis talks
Manama: Bahrain`s king has appointed his heir to an additional role overseeing government affairs in an apparent gesture to opposition groups that have led more than two years of protests in the Gulf nation.
An announcement on Monday by the official Bahrain News Agency said that Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa will have the added portfolio of first deputy premier to watch over the performance of top offices in the strategic kingdom, which is home to the US Navy`s 5th Fleet.
The move by King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa could be an effort to accelerate the slow-moving talks between Shiite-led opposition groups and envoys from the Western-backed Sunni monarchy.
The crown prince is seen as more receptive to political compromises than others in Bahrain`s ruling family, which has waged withering crackdowns on protesters, mainly Shiites calling for a greater political voice.
More than 60 people have been killed in the Arab Spring-inspired unrest, but some activists place the death toll higher.
The government has also been pressuring social media sites that have served as primary news outlets, since authorities have blocked many international journalists from entering Bahrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak