Bahrain crown prince widens role amid crisis talks
Manama: Bahrain`s king has appointed his heir to an additional role overseeing government affairs in an apparent gesture to opposition groups that have led more than two years of protests in the Gulf nation.
An announcement on Monday by the official Bahrain News Agency said that Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa will have the added portfolio of first deputy premier to watch over the performance of top offices in the strategic kingdom, which is home to the US Navy`s 5th Fleet.
The move by King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa could be an effort to accelerate the slow-moving talks between Shiite-led opposition groups and envoys from the Western-backed Sunni monarchy.
The crown prince is seen as more receptive to political compromises than others in Bahrain`s ruling family, which has waged withering crackdowns on protesters, mainly Shiites calling for a greater political voice.
More than 60 people have been killed in the Arab Spring-inspired unrest, but some activists place the death toll higher.
The government has also been pressuring social media sites that have served as primary news outlets, since authorities have blocked many international journalists from entering Bahrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan