Bahrain forces deploy against unrest:Opposition
Manama: Bahrain`s main opposition group says the kingdom`s paramilitary National Guard is deploying to back up police as authorities try to quell rising political violence.
Wider use of the Guard could signal a tougher strategy by Bahrain`s Sunni embattled monarchy as riot police struggle to contain the Shiite majority`s 21-month uprising.
Hadi al-Musawi, a spokesman for Al Wefaq, says Guard troops were seen today setting up in Sitra, a center of the revolt. Previously, Guard forces separate from the regular military have been used mainly at key sites in the capital Manama.
Heavy clashes erupted today after the funeral of a teenager killed in a traffic incident during a clampdown on marchers the day before.
More than 55 people have died in Bahrain`s unrest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis