Bahrain forces deploy against unrest:Opposition
Manama: Bahrain`s main opposition group says the kingdom`s paramilitary National Guard is deploying to back up police as authorities try to quell rising political violence.
Wider use of the Guard could signal a tougher strategy by Bahrain`s Sunni embattled monarchy as riot police struggle to contain the Shiite majority`s 21-month uprising.
Hadi al-Musawi, a spokesman for Al Wefaq, says Guard troops were seen today setting up in Sitra, a center of the revolt. Previously, Guard forces separate from the regular military have been used mainly at key sites in the capital Manama.
Heavy clashes erupted today after the funeral of a teenager killed in a traffic incident during a clampdown on marchers the day before.
More than 55 people have died in Bahrain`s unrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information