Bahrain forces deploy against unrest:Opposition
Manama: Bahrain`s main opposition group says the kingdom`s paramilitary National Guard is deploying to back up police as authorities try to quell rising political violence.
Wider use of the Guard could signal a tougher strategy by Bahrain`s Sunni embattled monarchy as riot police struggle to contain the Shiite majority`s 21-month uprising.
Hadi al-Musawi, a spokesman for Al Wefaq, says Guard troops were seen today setting up in Sitra, a center of the revolt. Previously, Guard forces separate from the regular military have been used mainly at key sites in the capital Manama.
Heavy clashes erupted today after the funeral of a teenager killed in a traffic incident during a clampdown on marchers the day before.
More than 55 people have died in Bahrain`s unrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter