Bahrain King promises expanded Parliament powers
Manama: Bahrain`s King says the strife-wracked Gulf nation will move ahead with political reforms that widen the powers of the elected Parliament in overseeing governments selected by the ruling monarchy.
The reforms are part of recommendations that emerged last year from talks between various political and civil groups on easing tensions in the Sunni-ruled kingdom, which has faced more than 11 months of protests by the Shi’ite majority demanding greater rights.
King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa said on Sunday in a televised address that the new powers include approving Cabinets proposed by the ruling dynasty and greater authority to question and remove Cabinet officials.
But Bahrain`s main Shi’ite groups have withdrawn from Parliament and boycotted reform talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video