Bahrain mourner killed in funeral march clash
Dubai: Security forces in Bahrain fired
tear gas and bird shot Tuesday on mourners gathered for a funeral procession for a man killed in the first Egypt-inspired protests to reach the Gulf, killing at least one other person and sharply raising the chances for further
Officials at Bahrain`s Salmaniya Medical Complex, the
meeting point for thousands of mourners, said a 31-year-old
man died from injuries from bird shot fired during the melee
in the hospital`s parking lot.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because
they were not allowed to speak to journalists.
The latest death raises the possibility of more
rallies and challenges to the ruling Sunni monarchy in
Bahrain, a strategic Western ally and home to the US Navy`s
After the clash, riot police eventually withdrew and
allowed the funeral cortege for 21-year-old Ali Abdulhadi
Mushaima to proceed from the hospital, the main state-run
medical facility in Bahrain`s capital Manama.
Mushaima was killed yesterday during clashes with
security forces trying to halt marches to demand greater
freedoms and political rights. At least 25 people were injured
in the barrage of rubber bullets, bird shot and tear gas,
family members said.
A statement from Bahrain`s interior minister, Lt Gen
Rashid bin Abdulla Al Khalifa, expressed "sincere condolences
and deep sympathy" to Mushaima`s family.
He stressed that the death will be investigated and
charges would be filed if authorities determined excessive
force was used against the protesters.
But that`s unlikely to appease the protesters, whose
"day of rage" coincided with major anti-government
demonstrations in Iran and Yemen.
In the past week, Bahrain`s rulers have attempted to
undermine calls for reform by promising nearly USD 2,700 for
each family and pledging to loosen state controls on the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog