Bahrain opposition boycotts talks after ex-MP`s arrest
Dubai: Bahraini opposition groups said today they have suspended their participation in national reconciliation talks aimed at ending the kingdom`s political impasse, following the arrest of a prominent Shiite ex-MP.
The five groups, including the main Shiite Al-Wefaq formation, "have decided to suspend their participation in the national dialogue," a joint statement said, a day after the arrest of Khalil Marzooq on charges of inciting terrorism.
"This decision will be continuously revised," the statement said.
Bahrain`s public prosecutor decided yesterday to hold Marzooq in custody for 30 days for further investigation.
He was charged with "inciting and advocating terrorism, and using his leadership position in a legally organised political society to incite crimes," according to a prosecution statement.
Prosecutors also accuse Marzooq of being "affiliated with (a) terrorist organisation," naming the radical February 14 Revolution Youth Coalition.
Led by Al-Wefaq, the opposition was taking part in a national dialogue that began on February 10 aimed at ending the country`s political stalemate, while keeping up street protests to call for reform.
Marzooq served as deputy speaker in the 40-member parliament before 18 MPs from the influential Shiite opposition bloc Al-Wefaq walked out in February 2011 protesting violence against demonstrators.
In March 20122, security forces in the Sunni-ruled kingdom crushed a month of protests dominated by the country`s Shiite majority, which demanded democratic reforms.
At least 80 people have been killed since the Arab Spring-inspired pro-democracy protests erupted, according to the International Federation for Human Rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state