Bahrain opposition boycotts talks after ex-MP`s arrest
Dubai: Bahraini opposition groups said today they have suspended their participation in national reconciliation talks aimed at ending the kingdom`s political impasse, following the arrest of a prominent Shiite ex-MP.
The five groups, including the main Shiite Al-Wefaq formation, "have decided to suspend their participation in the national dialogue," a joint statement said, a day after the arrest of Khalil Marzooq on charges of inciting terrorism.
"This decision will be continuously revised," the statement said.
Bahrain`s public prosecutor decided yesterday to hold Marzooq in custody for 30 days for further investigation.
He was charged with "inciting and advocating terrorism, and using his leadership position in a legally organised political society to incite crimes," according to a prosecution statement.
Prosecutors also accuse Marzooq of being "affiliated with (a) terrorist organisation," naming the radical February 14 Revolution Youth Coalition.
Led by Al-Wefaq, the opposition was taking part in a national dialogue that began on February 10 aimed at ending the country`s political stalemate, while keeping up street protests to call for reform.
Marzooq served as deputy speaker in the 40-member parliament before 18 MPs from the influential Shiite opposition bloc Al-Wefaq walked out in February 2011 protesting violence against demonstrators.
In March 20122, security forces in the Sunni-ruled kingdom crushed a month of protests dominated by the country`s Shiite majority, which demanded democratic reforms.
At least 80 people have been killed since the Arab Spring-inspired pro-democracy protests erupted, according to the International Federation for Human Rights.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!