Bahrain orders retrial for hunger striker, others
Manama: A Bahrain court on Monday ordered retrials for a prominent hunger striker and 20 others convicted by a military-led tribunal in crackdowns against the 14-month-old uprising in the Gulf kingdom.
The decision shifts the cases to Bahrain`s highest appeals court and was seen as a victory for supporters of rights activist Abdulhadi al-Khawaja and other opposition figures sentenced last year during a period of martial law-style rules imposed by Bahrain`s rulers.
But there appeared no immediate openings for the release of the group, which include some of the top figures in protests by Bahrain`s majority Shiites seeking to break the near monopoly on power held by the Western-backed Sunni dynasty.
At least 50 people have been killed in unrest since February 2011 in the strategic kingdom, which is home to the US Navy`s 5th Fleet. Al-Khawaja`s nearly three-month hunger strike has become the latest rallying point for the demonstrations.
The official Bahrain News Agency described the appeals process for al-Khawaja as if "it were a trial for the first time."
"The court reconsiders the proceedings from the beginning and listens to the witnesses and the prosecution and defense arguments," it said.
Defense attorney Hassan Radhi said the appeals court will decide whether to grant bail while the review is under way. No date has been set to begin the appeal proceedings, he said.
It also was not immediately clear whether al-Khawaja would continue his hunger strike, which began Feb. 8 and which according to his family has brought him close to death. He was visited Sunday by his wife, who claimed he was force fed with tubes and IVs against his will. Bahraini officials said al-Khawaja agreed to all procedures.
Al-Khawaja and seven other high-level opposition figures were sentenced last year to life in prison by a military-led court, which is now disbanded. Six others were sentenced to lesser jail terms as part of the group accused of anti-state crimes.
In addition, seven activists were convicted in absentia in the group.
For months, they have fought against the sentences, claiming violations of legal rights in the now-defunct military court and torture behind bars. None of the defendants were in court for Monday`s session.
Earlier this month, Bahrain rejected a request by Denmark to take custody of al-Khawaja, who is also a Danish citizen.
A similar retrial process is under way in a civilian court for 20 medical professionals convicted by the military-led tribunal of anti-state crimes and sentenced to five to 15 years in prison. The next hearing in their case is scheduled for May 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!