Bahrain police beat elderly Shi’ite to death
Dubai: The elderly father of the second in command of Bahrain`s largest Shi’ite opposition group Al-Wefaq died of his injuries on Thursday after riot police attacked him a day earlier, the organisation said.
"Ali Hasan al-Dehi, 70, was attacked by riot police forces on Wednesday evening" and died early Thursday, Al-Wefaq`s website reported.
His son, Hussein al-Dehi, is deputy head of Al-Wefaq.
The statement said the elder Dehi had told one of his sons, who had arrived home to find him on the floor, that "he had been beaten by riot police”.
Al-Wefaq member and former MP Sayed Hadi Moussaoui said police were dispersing a protest in the western village of Dehi, when the man was attacked.
Moussaoui said members of Dehi household were harassed several times by the authorities, adding that the dead man`s wife had been "insulted" in the past without giving further details.
Earlier this year, Bahrain`s Sunni monarchy crushed pro-democracy protests, spearheaded by the majority Shi’ites, with the help of troops from other Gulf states, such as Saudi Arabia.
Twenty-four people died during the crackdown, between mid-February and mid-March, according to official figures from Manama.
Four protesters have since died in custody.
The Gulf kingdom is awaiting a report by an independent commission of inquiry into the crackdown, which is expected on November 23.
Though mass protests have ended, tensions remain high as the trials of dozens of opposition figures and protesters continue in the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister