Bahrain revokes citizenship of top Shi`ite cleric
Baghdad: Bahrain`s rulers say they`ve revoked the citizenship of a powerful Shi’ite cleric with close ties to Iraq as part of a widening crackdown on suspected dissidents.
A statement by Bahrain`s interior minister says citizenship was pulled from Ayatollah Hussein al-Najati and his family.
Al-Najati is the Bahrain representative of Iraq`s Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, the country`s most influential Shi’ite political cleric.
Al-Najati was born in Bahrain and studied in Iraq and Iran. He now could be considered stateless.
The move on Sunday is the latest blow by Bahrain`s Sunni rulers against their majority Shi’ite population ahead of Parliamentary Elections next month in the tiny Gulf state. A wave of arrests since August has touched off clashes and protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday