Bahrain sentences 17 to 15 years for bombing
Manama (Bahrain): A lawyer in Bahrain says 17 suspected anti-government protesters have been sentenced to 15-year prison sentences for links to a bombing last year that injured four policemen.
At the time, the April 2012 blast was a stunning escalation in more than two years of unrest between Bahrain`s Sunni monarchy and the kingdom`s majority Shi`ites seeking a greater political voice.
Defence lawyer Jassim Sarhan said eight of the defendants are in custody, and the others were tried in absentia. The judgements today are among the harshest sentences imposed for alleged protest-related violence, although some Shi`ite political leaders have received life sentences.
Sarhan said an appeal is planned.
Also today, the official Bahrain News Agency said a blast from an explosive device in a mainly Shi`ite area injured an Asian worker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS