Bahrain tries 27 suspected Shiite militants
Manama: Tight security was laid
on today as a trial opened in Bahrain for 27 Shiites accused
of being militants who plotted to overthrow the Gulf state`s
Twenty-five of the defendants appeared before the High
Criminal Court in Manama charged with "forming an illegal
organisation, resorting to terrorism, financing terrorist
activities and spreading false information," according to
Riot police were stationed around the courthouse,
according to an AFP correspondent who attended the trial.
The defendants who appeared in court rejected the
charges, while the other two accused are being tried in
absentia as they are abroad.
"We`re not guilty," they said in turn while
complaining of having been "tortured" and "abused" and
denouncing their continued detention in solitary confinement.
Authorities announced on September 4 that they had
charged 23 Shiite activists, two of them in absentia, with
forming a "terror network" aimed at toppling Bahrain`s
Four new defendants appeared in court today.
On October 21, Bahrain said Interpol had circulated
warrants for the arrest of two Shiite opposition leaders who
have been living in London, Bahrain Freedom Islamic Movement
secretary general Said al-Shihabi and Haq leader Hussein
Observers from human rights watchdogs Amnesty
International and Human Rights Watch were present as the trial
got under way on today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings