Bahraini activist barred from flight to gulf kingdom
Dubai: A prominent Bahraini rights activist has been barred from a flight to the gulf kingdom after a request from government authorities.
A British Airways spokesman told a news agency Associated Press that Maryam al-Khawaja had been stopped from boarding a direct London-to-Bahrain flight today. The spokesman said the airline barred her as "we are required to comply with requests from individual government authorities."
The spokesman spoke on condition of anonymity as he wasn`t authorized to speak publicly about the matter. Officials in Bahrain could not be reached for comment.
Al-Khawaja is the daughter of jailed activist Abdulhadi al-Khawaja.
Bahrain, home to the US Navy`s 5th fleet, has faced more than 18 months of unrest between the Sunni-led monarchy and its majority Shiite population. The government has promised to crack down on dissent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials