Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 years
Jakarta: An Indonesian court on Thursday sentenced the chief explosives maker for the 2002 Bali bombings - that killed 202 people - to 20 years in prison, BBC reported.
Umar Patek, 45, was facing six charges, several of which were terrorism-related.
He admitted helping mix chemicals for the bombs, but said he was not involved in the attack. The trial began in February.
Prosecutors had asked for a life sentence.
The Bali attacks targeted Paddy`s Bar and the Sari Club in Kuta. Those killed were from 21 countries, including 88 Australians, 38 Indonesians and 28 Britons.
The bombings were blamed on the Jemaah Islamiah militant network.
Three men - Imam Samudra, Amrozi Nurhasyim and Ali Ghufron - were executed in November 2008 for playing key roles in the attacks.
Two others, alleged attack planner Dulmatin and bomb-maker Azahari Husin, were killed in raids in 2010 and 2005 respectively. Another suspect Hambali alias Riduan Isamuddin is being held in Guantanamo Bay.
Patek was arrested in January 2011 in Abbottabad, the Pakistani town where Osama bin Laden was killed. He was extradited to Indonesia in August 2011.
Judges read the charges and a summary of witness testimony before delivering the verdict.
Patek was also accused of preparing bombs for attacks on churches in Jakarta on Christmas Eve 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?