Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 years
Jakarta: An Indonesian court on Thursday sentenced the chief explosives maker for the 2002 Bali bombings - that killed 202 people - to 20 years in prison, BBC reported.
Umar Patek, 45, was facing six charges, several of which were terrorism-related.
He admitted helping mix chemicals for the bombs, but said he was not involved in the attack. The trial began in February.
Prosecutors had asked for a life sentence.
The Bali attacks targeted Paddy`s Bar and the Sari Club in Kuta. Those killed were from 21 countries, including 88 Australians, 38 Indonesians and 28 Britons.
The bombings were blamed on the Jemaah Islamiah militant network.
Three men - Imam Samudra, Amrozi Nurhasyim and Ali Ghufron - were executed in November 2008 for playing key roles in the attacks.
Two others, alleged attack planner Dulmatin and bomb-maker Azahari Husin, were killed in raids in 2010 and 2005 respectively. Another suspect Hambali alias Riduan Isamuddin is being held in Guantanamo Bay.
Patek was arrested in January 2011 in Abbottabad, the Pakistani town where Osama bin Laden was killed. He was extradited to Indonesia in August 2011.
Judges read the charges and a summary of witness testimony before delivering the verdict.
Patek was also accused of preparing bombs for attacks on churches in Jakarta on Christmas Eve 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon