Ban congratulates Xi on becoming Chinese President
Washington: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon congratulated Xi Jinping for officially becoming China`s President.
"The Secretary-General wished the President every success in leading his country towards making the "Chinese Dream" a reality and for achieving well-being for its entire people," said a UN statement attributable to Ban`s spokesperson.
Ban wrote a letter to Xi to congratulate him on his presidency on Friday. Welcoming the growing role China is playing in world affairs, Ban highly appreciated China`s strong support for the UN and multilateralism in his letter.
"The Secretary-General noted that China`s leading and pioneering role was indispensable for the success of the international community in its common quest to address the global challenges of building durable peace, including in Northeast Asia, ensuring respect for human rights, attaining sustainable development and combating the effects of climate change," the spokesperson said.
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why