Ban congratulates Xi on becoming Chinese President
Washington: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon congratulated Xi Jinping for officially becoming China`s President.
"The Secretary-General wished the President every success in leading his country towards making the "Chinese Dream" a reality and for achieving well-being for its entire people," said a UN statement attributable to Ban`s spokesperson.
Ban wrote a letter to Xi to congratulate him on his presidency on Friday. Welcoming the growing role China is playing in world affairs, Ban highly appreciated China`s strong support for the UN and multilateralism in his letter.
"The Secretary-General noted that China`s leading and pioneering role was indispensable for the success of the international community in its common quest to address the global challenges of building durable peace, including in Northeast Asia, ensuring respect for human rights, attaining sustainable development and combating the effects of climate change," the spokesperson said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!