Ban discusses global issues with world leaders
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban
Ki-moon on Monday discussed issues such as the Middle East peace
process and the global economic situation with several world
leaders who arrived here for high-level meetings at the annual
UN General Assembly debate here.
Ban met Prime Minister of Kuwait Sheikh Naser Al-Mohammad
Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, Myanmar`s Foreign Minister Wunna Maung
Lwin, Foreign Minister Basile Ikouebe of Congo and Minister
for Foreign Affairs of Greece Stavros Lambrinidis.
In his meeting with Al-Sabah, Ban reviewed developments
in the region, including the Middle East peace process, the
evolving situation in Syria and ties between Kuwait and Iraq.
Ban`s discussion with Lwin focussed on the need for the
Myanmar government to step up its reform efforts in order to
bring about an inclusive transition in the country.
The UN Secretary General reiterated his call for the
early release of the remaining political prisoners.
Ban and Lambrinidis discussed the UN-backed talks aimed
at reunifying Cyprus, as well as the status of the
negotiations facilitated by the world body between Athens and
Skopje to resolve the long-running dispute over the official
name of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
Preparations for the upcoming senatorial election in
Congo, the refugee situation and other peace and security
developments in the Central Africa sub-region were among the
issues Moon discussed with Ikouebe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sinners offering money to temples for solace: Chandrababu Naidu
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS
- Randeep Hooda’s dream girl is beautiful – See pic
- Chemical factory blast sends shock waves in Dombivali near Mumbai; 3 dead, over 100 injured
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities
- Unveiled! First teaser poster of Riteish Deshmukh, Nargis Fakhri's 'Banjo' – View pic