Ban Iran Prez from visiting US: Congresswoman
Washington: An influential American Republican lawmaker has urged US President Barack Obama to prevent Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from visiting the United States to attend the annual General Assembly session of the United Nations in New York next month.
Arguing that Ahmadinejad poses direct security threat to the US, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, in a letter to Obama, said, "Our responsibility as the UN’s host country is trumped by our national security. The US must not allow Ahmadinejad or any Iranian regime official into the US for the September UN meeting".
Ros-Lehtinen is Ranking Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
"The Iranian regime oppresses its people; has long aided the global Islamist militant network; has called for the destruction of another UN member, Israel; and is engaged in the pursuit of longer range missiles and chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons," she said.
"The focus for the US as the UN General Assembly meeting approaches should be on securing the adoption and enforcement of broader and stronger UN Security Council sanctions on the Iranian regime, and on cutting off nuclear technical assistance from the International Atomic Energy Agency to Iran," Ros-Lehtinen said.
In the letter, she noted that the direct threat posed by Ahmadinejad to US national security interests supersedes US responsibilities under the United Nations Headquarters Act of 1947.
Ros-Lehtinen also noted Ahmadinejad’s appointment of several cabinet ministers who are affiliated with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has been designated by the US for its involvement in proliferation activities and support for violent extremist groups.
She emphasised Ahmadinejad’s violation of the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide by his denial of the veracity of the Holocaust and his repeated calls for Israel and the US to be destroyed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands