Ban Iran Prez from visiting US: Congresswoman
Washington: An influential American Republican lawmaker has urged US President Barack Obama to prevent Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from visiting the United States to attend the annual General Assembly session of the United Nations in New York next month.
Arguing that Ahmadinejad poses direct security threat to the US, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, in a letter to Obama, said, "Our responsibility as the UN’s host country is trumped by our national security. The US must not allow Ahmadinejad or any Iranian regime official into the US for the September UN meeting".
Ros-Lehtinen is Ranking Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
"The Iranian regime oppresses its people; has long aided the global Islamist militant network; has called for the destruction of another UN member, Israel; and is engaged in the pursuit of longer range missiles and chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons," she said.
"The focus for the US as the UN General Assembly meeting approaches should be on securing the adoption and enforcement of broader and stronger UN Security Council sanctions on the Iranian regime, and on cutting off nuclear technical assistance from the International Atomic Energy Agency to Iran," Ros-Lehtinen said.
In the letter, she noted that the direct threat posed by Ahmadinejad to US national security interests supersedes US responsibilities under the United Nations Headquarters Act of 1947.
Ros-Lehtinen also noted Ahmadinejad’s appointment of several cabinet ministers who are affiliated with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has been designated by the US for its involvement in proliferation activities and support for violent extremist groups.
She emphasised Ahmadinejad’s violation of the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide by his denial of the veracity of the Holocaust and his repeated calls for Israel and the US to be destroyed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire