Ban Ki-moon elected UN chief for second term
New York: The 192-nation UN General
Assembly has voted unanimously to elect Ban Ki-moon for a
second five-year term as the global body`s secretary-general.
The Assembly unanimously backed the former 67-year-old
South Korean foreign minister by acclamation on Tuesday. Ban`s
second term will commence from January 1, 2012.
With no contenders to throw a challenge for the post,
the Assembly approved the new term by consensus. Ban declared
his candidacy two weeks ago and had the formal backing by the
Security Council on Friday. All regional groups at the UN also
Ban has termed his re-election as a "very great honour
The UN chief`s first term has been a mixed bag of
Ban has faced criticism for not adequately addressing
human rights violations in countries like Sri Lanka and China,
but has been seen as championing the cause of climate change,
women`s rights and more recently speaking out against the
crackdown on protesters in the Middle East and North Africa.
His role in backing decisive action by the Security
Council in Libya and Ivory Coast has also gone down well with
the international community.
Ban`s re-election was welcomed by US envoy to the UN,
Susan Rice. "No one understands the burden of this role,
better than he and my government is grateful that he willing
to continue to take them on," she said.
"Secretary-General Ban is a leader who listens to the
voices of the voiceless," she said.
Among other agendas, the UN chief will oversee
`Rio+20` next year, which is being dubbed as the most
important environmental summit in recent times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news