Ban Ki-moon nominated to top UN post for 2nd term
United Nations: The UN Security Council Friday "adopted by acclamation" a resolution to nominate incumbent UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for a second five-year term, the Council president told reporters here.
Noel Nelson Messone, Gabon`s UN ambassador whose country holds the rotating Council presidency for June, made the announcement to the press here after the 15-nation Security Council met behind closed doors to consider the recommendation for the appointment of the UN secretary-general.
He said the Security Council recommended to the General Assembly that Ban Ki-moon be appointed UN secretary-general for a second term from Jan 1, 2012 to Dec 31, 2016.
Under the UN Charter, the secretary-general is appointed by the UN General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council. The full UN General Assembly is expected to hold a formal vote next week, Xinhua reported quoting UN officials.
Last week, Ban, a South Korean national, put himself forward for re-election as the secretary-general.
Ban`s current term expires Dec 31, and he has no declared rival for the post. The 67-year-old former South Korean foreign minister succeeded Kofi Annan in January 2007.
His re-election bid won support from the five permanent members of the 15-nation Security Council: Britain, China, France, Russia and the US, who have the veto power on the UN body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan