Ban Ki-moon to hold talks with Chinese leaders
United Nations: UN leader Ban Ki-moon will on Tuesday start talks with Chinese leaders in Beijing and diplomats say North Korea and Syria will top the agenda.
Ban is to meet with President Xi Jinping and other top leaders during a three day stay in Beijing, said a UN spokesman.
"He is going to be meeting the President, the Premier, senior officials. He will be visiting a peacekeeping academy there," said deputy UN spokesman Eduardo del Buey.
The spokesman refused to disclose the topics that Ban would discuss.
Diplomats said however that the worsening Syria conflict and North Korea must top Ban`s list in Beijing.
"Ban has taken a hard line on Syria where China has sided with Russia. But North Korea is also an urgent problem for everyone," said a UN Security Council diplomat who spoke on condition of anonymity.
China has sided with Russia three times in using a veto against Western proposed UN Security Council resolutions that would increase pressure on Syria`s President Bashar al-Assad.
The UN has spoken out against China`s treatment of North Korean refugees, but North Korea`s nuclear program is also a major UN concern.
Ban noted North Korea`s offer to hold talks with the arch-rival the United States, said del Buey.
"He has consistently stated that the parties should resolve their differences through dialogue and for any dialogue to be meaningful it should be firmly anchored in the common goal of the verifiable denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," added the spokesman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city