Bandits kill 48 in Nigeria village raid
Abuja: At least 48 people have been killed when armed bandits raided a northern Nigerian village in an apparent reprisal attack targeting a local vigilante group.
There was an attack by armed bandits early Tuesday on Kizara village in Zamfara state where 48 residents were killed in apparent targeted killings by cattle rustlers who besieged the remote village on motorbikes, state government`s spokesman Ibrahim Birnin-Magaji said today.
He said the gunmen went on top of hills and opened fire indiscriminately.
They later went from house to house, telling residents that they were looking for members of local vigilante whom they accused of being hostile to them, Birnin-Magaji said.
He said those killed included an Islamic priest and the head of the vigilante group.
Despite the arrival of the police which engaged them in a shootout, the bandits could not be overpowered due to superior weapons, Birnin-Magaji said.
Most northern Nigerians engage in cattle rearing but cattle thieves come from time to time to take away their livestock.
Some villagers form vigilantes to keep away the rustlers since the police is not always at hand for protection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read