Bangkok to stay under emergency rule after blast: PM
Bangkok: Thai Prime Minister Abhisit
Vejjajiva said on Tuesday that the authorities would maintain
emergency rule in the capital following a deadly bombing over
"I think Bangkok will remain under the state of
emergency while the government will gradually lift the law in
other provinces," he told reporters after meeting security
The bomb, which killed one person and wounded 10,
exploded at a bus stop in the same commercial district
occupied by anti-government "Red Shirt" protesters during a
two-month-long rally that ended with an army crackdown in May.
The main opposition Puea Thai party accused
government supporters of setting off the bomb, which shattered
an uneasy calm in the capital since the army crushed the Red
Shirts` mass protests.
The government has come under pressure from the
United States and rights groups to end a state of emergency
still in place across one-fifth of the country.
Authorities have used the powers -- introduced in
Bangkok on April 7 -- to arrest hundreds of Red Shirt suspects
and silence anti-government media.
The protests by the Reds, many of whom back
fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, attracted up to
100,000 people demanding immediate elections.
Ninety people died and about 1,900 were injured in
a series of street clashes between armed troops and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre