Bangladeshi, Pakistani `slaves` shot at in Greece
Athens: Three men have been arrested for shooting into a crowd of Bangladeshi and Pakistani migrant workers at a strawberry farm in Greece, in which around 30 workers were injured.
The three men are suspected of shooting at 200 farm workers in Nea Manolada, after the migrants went on strike, claiming they were not being paid for six months.
The incident sparked outrage from human rights groups and led to a boycott call on Twitter.
The men were arrested Thursday, authorities said.
Labour Minister Yianns Vroutsis said the government would pass legislation to crack down on "uninsured" workers.
Condemning the shooting, Public Order Minister Nikos Dendias said he will visit the Nea Manolada farm in person.
Dendias said none of the migrants would be deported.
Activists claim thousands of farm workers are being routinely exploited, going unpaid and forced to work in dire conditions as virtual slaves.
The Nea Manolada incident follows a rise in racist attacks on migrant workers in Greece.
Nea Manolada has been a flashpoint for racist violence in the past. In April 2008, 400 striking migrant workers were attacked by farmers and other people described as "hired thugs".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside