‘Barack as chimp’ email sparks row
Irvine: A Southern California GOP official who sent out an email picturing President Barack Obama`s face on the body of a baby chimpanzee issued an apology late Monday after a weekend of criticism that ended with a strongly worded public rebuke from the local Republican Party chairman, who also called for an ethics investigation into the incident.
Marilyn Davenport, a 74-year-old Fullerton resident and elected member of the Orange County Republican Central Committee, sent an email on Monday afternoon asking for forgiveness for her "unwise behaviour," just before the GOP committee met for its monthly summit at a hotel in Irvine, where the fallout from the incident was the hot topic.
The email sent on Friday by Davenport to a small group of GOP committee members shows an image posed like a family portrait, of chimpanzee parents and child, with Obama`s face superimposed on the young chimp. Text beneath the picture reads, "Now you know why no birth certificate."
Some voters have maintained since last presidential election that Obama is ineligible to hold the nation`s highest elected office because, they argue, he was actually born in Kenya, his father`s homeland . Obama`s mother was an American citizen.
Hawaii officials have repeatedly confirmed Obama`s citizenship, and his Hawaiian birth certificate has been made public. Courts have rebuffed lawsuits challenging Obama`s eligibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued