‘Barack as chimp’ email sparks row
Irvine: A Southern California GOP official who sent out an email picturing President Barack Obama`s face on the body of a baby chimpanzee issued an apology late Monday after a weekend of criticism that ended with a strongly worded public rebuke from the local Republican Party chairman, who also called for an ethics investigation into the incident.
Marilyn Davenport, a 74-year-old Fullerton resident and elected member of the Orange County Republican Central Committee, sent an email on Monday afternoon asking for forgiveness for her "unwise behaviour," just before the GOP committee met for its monthly summit at a hotel in Irvine, where the fallout from the incident was the hot topic.
The email sent on Friday by Davenport to a small group of GOP committee members shows an image posed like a family portrait, of chimpanzee parents and child, with Obama`s face superimposed on the young chimp. Text beneath the picture reads, "Now you know why no birth certificate."
Some voters have maintained since last presidential election that Obama is ineligible to hold the nation`s highest elected office because, they argue, he was actually born in Kenya, his father`s homeland . Obama`s mother was an American citizen.
Hawaii officials have repeatedly confirmed Obama`s citizenship, and his Hawaiian birth certificate has been made public. Courts have rebuffed lawsuits challenging Obama`s eligibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video