‘Barack as chimp’ email sparks row
Irvine: A Southern California GOP official who sent out an email picturing President Barack Obama`s face on the body of a baby chimpanzee issued an apology late Monday after a weekend of criticism that ended with a strongly worded public rebuke from the local Republican Party chairman, who also called for an ethics investigation into the incident.
Marilyn Davenport, a 74-year-old Fullerton resident and elected member of the Orange County Republican Central Committee, sent an email on Monday afternoon asking for forgiveness for her "unwise behaviour," just before the GOP committee met for its monthly summit at a hotel in Irvine, where the fallout from the incident was the hot topic.
The email sent on Friday by Davenport to a small group of GOP committee members shows an image posed like a family portrait, of chimpanzee parents and child, with Obama`s face superimposed on the young chimp. Text beneath the picture reads, "Now you know why no birth certificate."
Some voters have maintained since last presidential election that Obama is ineligible to hold the nation`s highest elected office because, they argue, he was actually born in Kenya, his father`s homeland . Obama`s mother was an American citizen.
Hawaii officials have repeatedly confirmed Obama`s citizenship, and his Hawaiian birth certificate has been made public. Courts have rebuffed lawsuits challenging Obama`s eligibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa