Barack Obama calls new Italian leader
Washington: US President Barack Obama on Monday called Mario Monti, the new Italian prime minister, to congratulate him on his appointment and thank him for taking on significant responsibility at a time of financial crisis.
The White House said Obama expressed his confidence in Italy`s strength and vibrancy and underscored US support for the steps Italy is taking to advance its economic reform program.
Monti presided over his first working cabinet meeting on Monday after his new government won parliamentary backing last week to try to rein in Italy`s high debt and boost economic growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred