Barack Obama cancels his four-nation Asia trip due to shutdown
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Washington: US President Barack Obama has cancelled his trip to Indonesia and Brunei on Thursday. Obama was to attend two summits, including the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation (APec) meeting in Indonesia.
After the shutdown, The White House had earlier announced that Obama would be unable to visit Malaysia and the Philippines in his four-nation Asia trip. But later Obama decided to skip the entire trip and chose to stay in Washington to push for the budget bill that would reopen the government.
A spokesperson said that the trip has not been rescheduled. The US government has partially shut down after the two houses of Congress failed to agree a new budget.
However, Secretary of State John Kerry will be attending the APec meeting and the summit in Brunei.
The White House on Friday said that the trip cancellation was the consequence of the House Republicans forcing a shutdown of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical