Barack Obama discusses racism, fatherhood with black college grads
Washington: In a commencement address at Morehouse College, US President Barack Obama said that he feels motivated that he is not in prison, and making young male graduates understand the racial issues and their responsibilities.
The President in his second commencement address of the university`s graduation season asked the graduates to inspire others and help people in need as he could feel the pain of others being a black himself, ABC News reports.
Obama said he feels positive that he has not faced circumstances like other blacks who have landed up in prison, are unemployed and unable to support their families.
Obama warned the graduates of `making bad choices` as he believes `there is no time for excuses` and encouraged them to endure hardships like the previous generations to emerge stronger and wiser.
Reminiscing about his graduate days, the president said he had himself made some mistakes and blamed his faults on excuses such as the ill-treatment blacks receive in society, adding that the graduates should have learned during their course that `there is no room for excuses`.
Obama in his motivational speech shared personal experiences of growing up without a father and said that his success will also include his role as an active father and husband, encouraging the graduates to adopt these roles in their own lives.
The President claimed that he has always tried to be a better father, better husband and a better man, adding that he will think about whether or not he did justice to the roles of a father and a husband and not about the speeches he delivered or the polices he issued, while on his deathbed.
The President also honoured one of the college`s famous graduates, Dr Martin Luther King Jr, who he said had `helped to forge the intellect, the discipline, the compassion, the soul force that would transform America`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof