Barack Obama ending Mideast trip with tour of Petra
Petra (Jordan): Barack Obama is closing his first Mideast trip as president with a visit to Petra, Jordan`s fabled ancient city.
An unexpected sandstorm that forced Obama to change some travel plans yesterday had led him to cautiously state that the tour of Petra would happen "weather permitting."
The weather cooperated on Saturday, allowing Obama to arrive in Petra after an hour-long helicopter ride across Jordan`s rugged countryside.
Petra was carved into the rose-red stone by the Nabataeans more than 2,000 years ago. The ancient Arabs turned the city into a critical junction for the silk, spice and other trade routes that linked China, India and southern Arabia with Egypt, Syria, Greece and Rome.
Petra is Jordan`s most popular tourist attraction, drawing more than a half million visitors each year since 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers