Barack Obama ending Mideast trip with tour of Petra
Petra (Jordan): Barack Obama is closing his first Mideast trip as president with a visit to Petra, Jordan`s fabled ancient city.
An unexpected sandstorm that forced Obama to change some travel plans yesterday had led him to cautiously state that the tour of Petra would happen "weather permitting."
The weather cooperated on Saturday, allowing Obama to arrive in Petra after an hour-long helicopter ride across Jordan`s rugged countryside.
Petra was carved into the rose-red stone by the Nabataeans more than 2,000 years ago. The ancient Arabs turned the city into a critical junction for the silk, spice and other trade routes that linked China, India and southern Arabia with Egypt, Syria, Greece and Rome.
Petra is Jordan`s most popular tourist attraction, drawing more than a half million visitors each year since 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO to launch weather satellite next month
- WATCH: Mohammad Amir dismisses England's Alex Hales with an absolute peach of a delivery
- In Indonesia, eat sumptuous food served in a commode literally! – Must Watch
- Unbelievable! This son of a billionaire works as aam aadmi
- Fresh clashes in Kashmir; one youth killed in firing, death toll rises to 45