Barack Obama exploring executive order on gun control: Joe Biden
Washington: In the wake of frequent shootout incidents that have resulted in several deaths in recent past, the US is looking into the possibility of issuing an executive order on gun control.
"The President is going to act. There is executive action that can be taken. We haven`t decided what that is yet, but we`re compiling it all with the help the Attorney General and the rest of the Cabinet members," Vice President Joe Biden said on Wednesday.
He, however, also called for legislative action to control the gun menace.
"I want to make it clear that we are not going to get caught up in the notion, unless we can do everything, we`re going to do nothing. It`s critically important we act," Biden said, adding that there are some points of action on which there is a consensus, and thus they should be worked upon.
On top of his meeting with gun safety and victims` rights groups, Biden emphasised on taking steps to prevent such kind of massacres of innocent people including children.
Last month, Obama had tasked him to come out with specific proposals on gun control measures and Biden is slated to submit his report later this month.
He is also scheduled to meet representative of the pro-gun lobby the powerful National Rifle Association (NRA) on Thursday.
"I want it clear to the American public that on behalf of the President, we`re reaching out to all parties on whatever side of this debate you fall," he said.
Later at a news conference, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said in wake of the tragic incident of firing in Newtown, the US President believes that country must examine every possible action that it could plausibly take to reduce this terrible scourge of gun violence.
"As you heard him say, it is in many ways our first responsibility to ensure that our children are safe. And what Newtown brought home to us is that we need to do a lot more to ensure that they are safe. He wants to hear through the effort that he assigned to the Vice President from stakeholders of all kinds, and that certainly includes gun owners and organisations that represent gun owners," Carney said.
Both President Obama and his deputy Biden want some constructive solutions to the problem and the Vice President is in the process of putting together a series of recommendations that the President will consider, said Carney.
"And once the President has decided on the path forward that he will promote, he will I’m sure make that known to you," he said.
Earlier, Biden held conference calls with governors of both parties and state and local elected leaders from across the US over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception