`Barack Obama has 5-point lead over Mitt Romney`
Washington: US President Barack Obama has opened up a five point lead, his largest margin since early July, over his Republican challenger Mitt Romney, in Gallup`s daily tracking poll, three days after the successful Democratic convention.
Obama has 49 percent among registered voters nationwide, while Romney has 44 percent, according to the poll released on Sunday.
The survey was conducted September 02-08, a time window that included the entirety of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, as well as two days before and two days after the event.
The same poll showed Obama with only a one-point margin (47 percent-46 percent) one week ago as he headed into the convention, which came a week after the Republican convention in Tampa, Florida.
According to a CNN/ORC International Poll released on Tuesday, Romney received a one point bounce after the Republican event, going from 47 percent to 48 percent compared to Obama`s 49 percent.
The last time Obama held a five-point margin over Romney occurred on July 01, when the President had 48 percent and Romney had 43 percent, CNN said.
While it`s not unusual for a candidate to get a modest boost in the polls after a convention, a senior Obama campaign official said last week that big swings are becoming less common due to conventions now falling so late in the election year.
Candidates no longer get double-digit bounces, like the 16-point bump former president Bill Clinton received after the 1992 convention in New York, the official was quoted as saying in Charlotte.
Because of higher interest early on and long primary seasons, the "process is fundamentally different" now so that voters get exposed to the candidates much sooner and form their opinions before the conventions, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video