Barack Obama makes new cabinet appointments
Washington: US President Barack Obama has nominated new heads for the energy department and the Environmental Protection Agency, as he reshuffles his second term cabinet.
He nominated MIT physicist Ernie Moniz as his new Energy Secretary. If confirmed by the Senate, Moniz would replace Steven Chu as his new Energy Secretary.
Obama also announced to appoint Mathews Burwell, from Walmart Foundation as his next director of the Office of Management of Budget (OMB), and Gina McCarthy to head the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Both are Cabinet level postings.
A physicist by training, Moniz also served as Under Secretary of Energy under the Clinton Administration.
"Since then, he`s directed MIT`s Energy Initiative, which brings together prominent thinkers and energy companies to develop the technologies that can lead us to more energy independence and also to new jobs," he said.
"Most importantly, Ernie knows that we can produce more energy and grow our economy while still taking care of our air, our water and our climate. And so I could not be more pleased to have Ernie join us. And he will be joined in that effort by my nominee to lead the Environmental Protection Agency," Obama said.
Obama said as a top environmental official in Massachusetts and Connecticut, McCarthy helped design programs to expand energy efficiency and promote renewable energy.
As Assistant EPA Administrator, she has focused on practical, cost-effective ways to keep the air clean and the economy growing.
"She`s earned a reputation as a straight shooter. She welcomes different points of views. I`m confident that she`s going to do an outstanding job leading the EPA," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days