Barack Obama nominates new Strategic Command chief
Washington: US President Barack Obama has nominated Cecil Haney, commander of the US Pacific Fleet, to be the next commander of the US Strategic Command (Stratcom), Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said.
If confirmed by the Senate, Haney will succeed Air Force Gen. Robert Kehler at Stratcom, which has its headquarters at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, Xinhua reported.
In the Pacific Fleet, Obama nominated Harry Harris, assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to succeed Haney as the US Pacific Fleet commander.
According to the Pentagon, Stratcom is one of nine unified commands in the Defense Department, and conducts global operations in coordination with other combatant commands, the services and appropriate US government agencies to "deter and detect strategic attacks against the United States and its allies, and to defend the nation as directed".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love