Barack Obama nominates new Strategic Command chief
Washington: US President Barack Obama has nominated Cecil Haney, commander of the US Pacific Fleet, to be the next commander of the US Strategic Command (Stratcom), Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said.
If confirmed by the Senate, Haney will succeed Air Force Gen. Robert Kehler at Stratcom, which has its headquarters at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, Xinhua reported.
In the Pacific Fleet, Obama nominated Harry Harris, assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to succeed Haney as the US Pacific Fleet commander.
According to the Pentagon, Stratcom is one of nine unified commands in the Defense Department, and conducts global operations in coordination with other combatant commands, the services and appropriate US government agencies to "deter and detect strategic attacks against the United States and its allies, and to defend the nation as directed".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued