Barack Obama nominates new Strategic Command chief
Washington: US President Barack Obama has nominated Cecil Haney, commander of the US Pacific Fleet, to be the next commander of the US Strategic Command (Stratcom), Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said.
If confirmed by the Senate, Haney will succeed Air Force Gen. Robert Kehler at Stratcom, which has its headquarters at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, Xinhua reported.
In the Pacific Fleet, Obama nominated Harry Harris, assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to succeed Haney as the US Pacific Fleet commander.
According to the Pentagon, Stratcom is one of nine unified commands in the Defense Department, and conducts global operations in coordination with other combatant commands, the services and appropriate US government agencies to "deter and detect strategic attacks against the United States and its allies, and to defend the nation as directed".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data