Barack Obama to travel to Mexico, Costa Rica
Washington: US President Barack Obama will travel to Mexico and Costa Rica during the first week of May as part of his efforts to strengthen the already-deep ties Washington shares with Mexico and Central America, the White House announced on Wednesday.
Obama will visit Mexico and Costa Rica from May 2-4 on a tour that represents an "important opportunity to reinforce the deep cultural, familial, and economic ties that so many Americans share with Mexico and Central America", said the White House in a communiqué.
In Mexico, the US President will meet with his Mexican counterpart, Enrique Pena Nieto, with whom he spoke by telephone on Wednesday, and they are expected to discuss "ways to deepen our economic and commercial partnership and further our engagement on the broad array of bilateral, regional, and global issues", the communiqué stated.
In Costa Rica, Obama is scheduled to meet with President Laura Chinchilla, as well as heads of state of other Central American countries and the Dominican Republic, at a regional conference Costa Rica is hosting, the statement continued.
The trip will be an "important chance to discuss our collective efforts to promote economic growth and development in Central America and our ongoing collaboration on citizen security", said the White House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!