Barack Obama to unveil USD 7 bn Africa power plan
Cape Town: US President Barack Obama on Sunday will unveil a USD 7 billion plan to upgrade African power networks, in bid to end blackouts that deter business investment on the continent, the White House said.
Obama will announce the plan, which leverages loan guarantees and private-sector finance, during a visit to Cape Town.
The initiative, dubbed "Power Africa", aims to double access to power in sub-Saharan Africa, where more than two-thirds of the population is without electricity.
"There isn`t enough power to attract the level of investment to build on the momentum we`re seeing today," said Obama advisor Gayle Smith.
In its initial phase the plan will be focused on projects in Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria and Tanzania.
The cash will go to technical assistance, grants, export credits and other measures to ease the risk burden on companies hoping to do business on the continent.
About $5 billion, the bulk of the financing, will come from the US Export-Import Bank which will support US exports for the development of power projects.
"Power Africa will build on Africa`s enormous power potential, including new discoveries of vast reserves of oil and gas, and the potential to develop clean geothermal, hydro, wind and solar energy," the White House said.
According to the International Energy Agency, sub-Saharan Africa will need investment of more than $300 billion to achieve universal electricity access by 2030.
Despite breakneck economic growth, an estimated 587 million Africans, roughly half the continent`s population does not have access to electricity, according to the International Energy Agency.
Only around 25 per cent of people in rural areas have access to electricity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened