Barack Obama to unveil USD 7 bn Africa power plan
Cape Town: US President Barack Obama on Sunday will unveil a USD 7 billion plan to upgrade African power networks, in bid to end blackouts that deter business investment on the continent, the White House said.
Obama will announce the plan, which leverages loan guarantees and private-sector finance, during a visit to Cape Town.
The initiative, dubbed "Power Africa", aims to double access to power in sub-Saharan Africa, where more than two-thirds of the population is without electricity.
"There isn`t enough power to attract the level of investment to build on the momentum we`re seeing today," said Obama advisor Gayle Smith.
In its initial phase the plan will be focused on projects in Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria and Tanzania.
The cash will go to technical assistance, grants, export credits and other measures to ease the risk burden on companies hoping to do business on the continent.
About $5 billion, the bulk of the financing, will come from the US Export-Import Bank which will support US exports for the development of power projects.
"Power Africa will build on Africa`s enormous power potential, including new discoveries of vast reserves of oil and gas, and the potential to develop clean geothermal, hydro, wind and solar energy," the White House said.
According to the International Energy Agency, sub-Saharan Africa will need investment of more than $300 billion to achieve universal electricity access by 2030.
Despite breakneck economic growth, an estimated 587 million Africans, roughly half the continent`s population does not have access to electricity, according to the International Energy Agency.
Only around 25 per cent of people in rural areas have access to electricity.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed