Barack Obama warns of growing inequality in US
Washington: President Barack Obama on Wednesday warned of "growing inequality" in the US despite the fact that the country has left behind the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.
"This growing inequality is not just morally wrong, it`s bad economics," Obama said in a much-heralded speech at Knox University in Galesburg, Illinois.
Reversing that trend "has to be Washington`s highest priority", he said. "It`s certainly my highest priority."
"Unfortunately, over the past couple of years, in particular, Washington hasn`t just ignored this problem, too often, Washington has made things worse," the President said, pointing to what he characterised as obstructionism by "a sizable group of Republican lawmakers".
"I care about one thing and one thing only, and that`s how to use every minute - the only thing I care about is how to use every minute of the remaining 1,276 days of my term - to make this country work for working Americans again," Obama said.
"And it may seem hard today, but if we`re willing to take a few bold steps - if Washington will just shake off its complacency and set aside the kind of slash-and-burn partisanship that we`ve just seen for way too long - if we just make some common-sense decisions, our economy will be stronger a year from now," he said.
He noted that over the last 40 months US firms have created 7.2 million new jobs and that this year the growth in private sector employment is the strongest since 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble