Barroso, Putin discuss Ukraine situation over phone
Brussels: European Commission (EC) President Jose Manuel Barroso spoke on phone with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the current situation in Ukraine, the European Union (EU) said in a statement.
According to the statement, the two leaders Friday discussed the upcoming Association Agreement scheduled for June 27 and also the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area between Ukraine and the EU, Xinhua reported.
Barroso expressed the possibility to pursue bilateral talks with Russia at technical level as well as on a political level which includes the Ukraine situation, the statement said.
They also assessed the ongoing gas talks mediated by the EC.
Barroso expressed the hope that both sides can make additional efforts to reach a lasting agreement on the basis of the options established by the European Commission.
The trilateral gas talks between Ukraine, the EC and Russia failed to reach a deal this week after two rounds of talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster