‘Batman’ shooting suspect may face death penalty
Washington: James Holmes, who allegedly killed 12 people during the screening of the latest Batman film ``The Dark Knight Rises,`` could face a dozen first-degree murder charges, according to court documents.
The anticipated counts were mentioned in a judge`s order directing the University of Colorado, where Holmes was a student, not to disclose information about him.
First-degree murder can be punishable by death in Colorado, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Colorado State Public Defender Douglas Wilson, who is representing Holmes, didn`t comment on the filing.
Holmes, 24, made an appearance on July 23 in a Centennial, Colorado, courtroom where he was advised of his rights.
He has been in custody since his arrest the night of the shootings.
According to the paper, the recent shooting incident was the deadliest in Colorado since the Columbine High School massacre in April 1999 and the worst mass shooting in the US since November 2009, when 13 people were killed at Fort Hood in Texas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler