Battle for Aleppo: Syrian troops force rebels to retreat
Aleppo: The besieged city of Aleppo on Wednesday witnessed a fierce assault by Syrian troops on the rebel-held areas, in a battle that has been raging for over three weeks now.
Reports said that Syrian troops loyal to President Bashar al-assad launched heavy crackdown on the district of Salaheddine, the main rebel stronghold in Aleppo, retaking the control from rebels.
The government forces pushed into Salaheddine, causing the rebels to retreat, reported Syrian state TV.
But the rebels in Salaheddine denied that regime troops had regained full control.
Meanwhile, Syrian Prime Minister Riad Hijab crossed into Jordan today, said officials.
He had defected two days ago, joining the rebels.
He and his family were somewhere in the south Jordan, said reports.
Aleppo is the largest city in Syria and its commercial hub. It has significant symbolic and strategic role as its near the Turkish border. An opposition victory here would allow easier access for weapons for the rebels who are based in Turkey.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news