Battle for Syrian Army base kills 24 rebels
Beirut: Syrian activists say at least 24 rebels have died in battle for a military base near a northern opposition-held city but that government troops have managed to hold on to it.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says rebels fighting to topple President Bashar Assad`s government launched an assault on the base northeast of the city of Raqqa yesterday.
Rami Abdurrahman, the Observatory chief, says sporadic clashes are still underway today for the complex, known as Base 17, and that at least 24 fighters have been killed in battle.
In February, Raqqa was the first city to fall entirely under rebel control since Syria`s crisis erupted in March 2011.
At least 1,20,000 people have been killed in the conflict so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown