BBC to beam general election results on to Big Ben
London: For the first time, the results of
the historic May 6 general election in Britain are to be
projected on to Big Ben.
The number of seats won by the Labour, the
Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats, the three largest
parties will be updated over the course of the night as part
of an initiative between the BBC and the British Parliament.
The images, illustrating the state of the parties, will
be beamed from the moment the first result is declared until
the next morning, the BBC said.
With four days of campaigning left, the latest opinion
polls suggest the election remains finely balanced and that a
hung parliament - where no party has an overall majority -
remains a possibility.
The idea behind projecting the results is to provide a
clear and simple source of information and an arresting image.
The projections, which will not carry BBC branding,
will be beamed onto the southern face of Big Ben.
They will provide a running tally of the number of
seats won by Labour, the Conservatives and the Liberal
Democrats, along with those gained by the smaller parties and
In the minutes after polls close on May 6, the details
of an exit poll will be beamed onto Big Ben, under an
agreement between the BBC, ITN and Sky News.
The results projection, which will be removed after
dawn on 7 May, will feature a "winning line", representing the
326 seats that any party will need to win to be sure of an
"This is an historic election," said Craig Oliver,
editor of the BBC`s Election Night programme.
"We`re delighted Parliament is joining with the BBC to
project the results onto Big Ben for the first time ever,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened