Be courageous: Pope Francis urges Catholic cardinals
Vatican City: Pope Francis has called for "new methods of evangelisation", and urged Catholic cardinals to unite and to be "courageous".
Addressing cardinals at the Vatican`s Clementine Hall Friday, Pope Francis said: "We need new methods of evangelisation. We need courage - the courage to seek new ways of evangelising."
Argentine Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was elected Pope Francis reportedly with more than 90 votes out of 115.
"Every one of us should strengthen unity and perservere in our prayers with the beautiful sentiments of faith and ecclesiatical communion that we experienced during the conclave," the Pope said.
Catholicism has been losing ground evangelical churches in Latin America in recent years.
According to observers, this was one of the reasons for Bergoglio`s appointment as Pope along with a desire in the wider Catholic Church to reform the Vatican government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez