Be prepared for combat: Chinese general
Beijing: A senior Chinese general has urged the Army not to be slack and be prepared for any possible military combat. The remark comes amid rising tensions between China and Japan over some disputed islands.
Efforts should be made to ensure that the military is capable of resolutely performing its duty to safeguard the country`s national sovereignty, security and territorial integrity whenever it is needed by the Party and the people, said General Xu Caihou, the vice chairman of China`s Central Military Commission.
Xu made the remarks on Thursday during an inspection of military units in north China`s Shanxi Province, reported Xinhua.
The military should improve its competence in the deterrent and operational missions, Xu said.
The Army should always keep its political resolution, ideological stability and unity, Xu said.
Moreover, Xu told the military to improve efforts to keep the soldiers well-informed of important current events and policies.
China and Japan claim rights over the disputed islands in the East China Sea. It lies on a vital shipping route and are surrounded by large hydrocarbon deposits beneath them.
Japan says it has controlled the islands since 1895 until its surrender at the end of World War II. The islands were controlled by the US from 1945 to 1972 and subsequently returned to Japan`s control. China claims the islands` discovery and control since the 14th century.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'