Be prepared for combat: Chinese general
Beijing: A senior Chinese general has urged the Army not to be slack and be prepared for any possible military combat. The remark comes amid rising tensions between China and Japan over some disputed islands.
Efforts should be made to ensure that the military is capable of resolutely performing its duty to safeguard the country`s national sovereignty, security and territorial integrity whenever it is needed by the Party and the people, said General Xu Caihou, the vice chairman of China`s Central Military Commission.
Xu made the remarks on Thursday during an inspection of military units in north China`s Shanxi Province, reported Xinhua.
The military should improve its competence in the deterrent and operational missions, Xu said.
The Army should always keep its political resolution, ideological stability and unity, Xu said.
Moreover, Xu told the military to improve efforts to keep the soldiers well-informed of important current events and policies.
China and Japan claim rights over the disputed islands in the East China Sea. It lies on a vital shipping route and are surrounded by large hydrocarbon deposits beneath them.
Japan says it has controlled the islands since 1895 until its surrender at the end of World War II. The islands were controlled by the US from 1945 to 1972 and subsequently returned to Japan`s control. China claims the islands` discovery and control since the 14th century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why