Bedbugs threatens New York
New York: Blood sucking bedbugs have made a
strong comeback in New York, forcing temporary closures of
some reputed outlets here.
In recent days, the bugs forced the temporary closures
of a Victoria`s Secret and Abercrombie and Fitch. The shops
say they have rid their stores of the tiny pests, but experts
say the infestations are just the latest indication of the
bedbug`s strong comeback.
After mostly being eradicated form the US a half
century ago, infestations are so common that New York City
formed a Bed Bug Advisory Board in 2009 to focus on preventing
infestations, Christian Science Monitor reported.
According to New York City`s Housing Preservation and
Development department, bedbug complaints in the city have
skyrocketed over the past five years, from just over 500 in
2004 to over 10,000 in 2009.
In June, the New York state legislature passed a law requiring landlords to give potential renters a "bedbug
history" of their property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report